Live, Love, & Create

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Pies Galore

I am happy to report, after my long blogging absence, that we are finally moved into our beautiful new home. It has been enjoyable these last two weeks. After the two day rush of opening boxes, unpacking, organizing, and deep cleaning our home before my brothers arrived, I finally got to relax-my way.

Baking pies is one of the best ways I can think of to relax. Normally I only have the opportunity to bake one pie, but with having my brothers coming to visit I realized I could make at least two. I asked my brothers what kind of pies they wanted. Eli, wanted a pecan or chocolate pie. Tommy, wanted a strawbehrry rhubarb. Eli's pie was easy. My husband had found a chocolate pecan pie recipe years back and we had made it several times together with huge success. It is now a holiday favorite. Tommy's pie on the other hand I had never made. I searched the internet for days trying to find the best rated strawberry rhubarb pie recipe.

One night as I was searching through a website of pie recipes, my husband stops me, and asks me to go back a few pies. I went back until my husband points to a beautiful blueberry crumble pie and says, "that one". He then adds that it is very nice that I was making both my brothers pies, and continued telling me how much he appreciated all the baking I did.

When my brothers arrived I was ready to make my three pies; chocolate pecan, strawberry rhubarb, and yes, you guessed it, blueberry crumble. I made everything from scratch starting with the pie crusts.


This red Kitchen Aid mixer is probably one of my most precious possessions. On my wedding day my grandmother gave it to me. I have no idea how I lived without it. It makes mixing pie crusts easy.


Here is Tommy's strawberry rhubarb pie in the making. I went for a more traditional look by placing strips of pie crust on top. I coated it with egg yolk so it would be golden.


I'm afraid I did not put foil on the edges in time so it did get slightly toasted, but that was my fault. I added some In the Raw sugar to the top of the pie. It was the perfect finishing touch. This is now one of my favorite pies to make and eat.


Moving onto Eli's chocolate pecan pie. I love this pie because it is so easy to make and doesn't take long to cook. It is great served cold or warm and goes great with coffee. With fall just around the corner its a perfect pie for chilly weather.



Onto the main event. Blueberry crumble pie. I got the biggest blueberries at the farmers market. They were so sweet. I could not wait to put them into a pie. After adding some sugar, spice, and everything delectable they were ready to be poured into the pie crust.



I enjoy making pie crust. I found a really easy and simple recipe a few years back and it saves me so much time in comparison to my award winning pie crust. Best part is that it still comes out flaky, golden, and complimentary to pie filling. The simplicity of rolling out pie crust really is great for melting away long weeks of frustration and stress. If all else fails just take it out on the dough-it can handle it.


After pouring in the sweet juicy blueberry pie filling I was able to make the crumbe topping from scratch. One would not necessarily think that making this from scratch would matter, but it really does.


After adding the crumble topping I felt a sense of pure accomplishment. I made this from scratch, with love, and the return was sure to be sweet.



After an hour and a half baking, and six hours of cooling, my blue berry masterpiece was finished. To compliment each slice I served it with home made whipped cream and vanilla ice cream. It was quickly a family favorite.


The crumbe crust was one of my favorite things about this pie. It was sweet, crunchy, and after topping the pie with a little In the Raw sugar it glittered with sugary goodness. Needless to say this pie, along with my others, did not last long. Truly, there is no better compliment to baking then others overeating.

My brother took a picture of me baking. I really felt in my element and I think that shows.
To all my readers I hope I've inspired you to want to go home, put on an apron, and bake a pie-or two.

1 comment: